Steel Media is seeking an audience development editor for its b2c websites.
PocketGamer.co.uk is the market leading mobile games website, delivering reviews, features, guides, tips and news for mobile and handheld gamers. As it enters a redesign phase in 2018, we are looking for a social media specialist to join the editorial team and help it reach its full potential. PocketGamer.co.uk is part of a group that also includes 148Apps.com, AppSpy.com, AndroidRundown etc. The ideal candidate will work with the editor and writers of all these sites to communicate effectively with readers and develop Steel Media’s online audience, and will also have a watching brief on all aspects of the growth strategy including SEO basics.
This vacancy creates a new role in the b2c team. Your job is to support the editorial teams and ensure Steel Media's content follows SEO and social media best practices. You will work with the senior management and the editorial team to devise a daily communication strategy for the site's future. You will be hands-on leading the daily social media output, with the help of the editorial team, and you will work closely with the editors to implement strategies for growth, mindful of best SEO and community management principles. In addition, you may be called on to recommend staff training, restructure the team's time to best deliver an agenda for growth, implement new day-to-day disciplines and more. It is a chance to introduce a new skill set to a small company which is seeking a motivated individual to lead growth in this area.
This job could be performed remotely and so London location is not crucial.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Devise and oversee a social media marketing strategy for editorial content, in conjunction with the editor and writers.
- Handle the day-to-day promotion of PocketGamer.co.uk (and other sites’) editorial content on key social media channels.
- Respond to the Pocket Gamer and other b2c communities on social media channels and take the lead in maintaining a dialogue with them.
- Be responsible for the Pocket Gamer brand (and other Steel Media b2c properties) online.
- Draw up best practice social media advice and communication guidelines for Steel Media editorial staff to follow.
- Devise and monitor key targets for social media activity and growth, and strategies for meeting those targets.
- Oversee and advise on Steel Media's other b2c social media output.
- Take an interest in the changing social media scene, remaining on top of new standards and evolving practices and feeding back to the company.
- With the collaboration of the Creator Director, update and maintain the design of the key social media pages (pinned posts, header visuals, profile pages etc)
- Work closely with the editorial team to ensure that content on the site will appeal to the online audience and can be quickly and efficiently communicated.
- A basic understanding of keyword marketing and be prepared to coach editors and writers in how best to create content that will grow the core site.
- Identify and solve problems in user-generated content surrounding the company (for instance, posts by readers in our Facebook pages, comments on the site etc) - and escalate issues to the editor and management where necessary.
- Live and breathe the traffic data and social media figures, and use them to devise recommendations and plans for revising social media plans, SEO strategy on the site and marketing/advertising campaigns as necessary. Produce weekly and monthly reports that help analyse and make decisions about social media and content activity.
Qualifications and Skills
Steel Media is a fast-paced, small company where decisions are made quickly. You need to manage multiple communications channels daily, via email, Skype and Google Docs and not be fazed by this.
Due to working remotely you will need to be comfortable being out of an office setting (it doesn't suit everyone) and be able to communicate and regularly report to your line-manager via Skype and other online systems.
Are you fascinated by social media, SEO and audience development and hungry for a new challenge? Steel Media could be for you! This is a non-managerial role, for a person with skills in audience development hoping to join an editorial outfit and have an immediate effect on the team's reach and impact. What we're looking for:
- A solid understanding of the principles of social media management.
- At least two years’ experience in the fields of social media, and ideally content marketing and/or SEO processes and/or community management.
- A working knowledge of the principles of SEO including keyword research.
- Creativity and immersion in social media; you’ll be an obsessive online communicator with a comprehensive understanding of established social platforms. You’ll demonstrate an in-depth understanding of social media platforms and how each one can be used to achieve different results and reach different people.
- Proficient use of online tools that will aid in communication with our readers: for instance Buffer, TweetDeck, Google Docs and other software platforms.
- And interest (and ability) in the analytical side of social media marketing as well as the creative side. Experience with Google Analytics and social media measurement/monitoring tools is preferred.
- Brilliant writing and language skills.
- Fantastic organisational skills, including effective personal time management and great attention to detail.
- An ability to work with a team and on your own. You’ll be able to take the lead on tasks where necessary but also ready to take direction (and happy to spend time working in isolation when necessary).
- Ideally, a love for the games - particularly mobile gaming - scene!
- What we pay will depend on experience (assuming 5 days, c.40 hours per week)
- The role is initially offered on a contract basis, with an invoice at the end of each month. Our standard terms are 45 days, but we aim to pay within 30. We are open to moving to a PAYE staff position once the right candidate has settled in.
- The role will mostly be performed remotely and therefore we will accept applications from anywhere, you do not have to be London based. The line manager you will report into will be primarily based in the Bath area, but distance working is expected.
- Our working hours are generally 9-6pm - with an hour for lunch - but we are open to flexible working hours, as long as activity levels are kept up.
- There'll be an initial three-month probationary period.
- We will pay reasonable expenses for travel (often booked centrally for flights, etc), and subsistence costs when travelling for the company.
Steel Media is a leading consumer technology publisher and event organiser based in the UK. We currently publish some of the world’s leading mobile and handheld gaming websites, including PocketGamer.co.uk and 148Apps.com. Steel Media also publishes industry news sites PocketGamer.biz, TheVirtualReport.biz, PCGamesInsider.biz and InfluencerUpdate.biz. We also run industry-focused advertising networks, syndicate content to mobile operators and handset manufacturers, and provide a range of editorial, design and other contract publishing services to a number of blue-chip brands. A significant part of our operation involves the production and delivery of b2b events: from parties to networking gatherings to development competitions to our flagship international conference series, Pocket Gamer Connects.
Online Marketing: 1 year
SEO: 1 year
Social Media Management: 1 year