Steel Media is looking for a production powerhouse, to help with the organisation of its events business.
It's a behind-the-scenes role, helping with the administration and communication of our series of conferences and other events, which serve professionals in the video games industry. It will suit somebody with fantastic language and admin skills, plus experience in editorial and/or operations. You'll be maintaining delegate lists, updating websites, proofing promotional copy and other essential production tasks, as directed by a busy events management team.
The international Pocket Gamer Connects series is one of the biggest and best conferences in the video games business, and you could be a part of helping it grow.
The successful applicant will display the methodology of a German car manufacturing plant, the consistency of a Korean Olympic archer, the accuracy of a Swiss watch, the speed of a Finnish rally driver, the resilience of a US Navy SEAL, the processing ability to rival Intel’s finest, and an attention to detail worthy of a Japanese imperial gardener.
We’re only half exaggerating.
Sitting at the core of our events business, the role is paramount in ensuring the smooth running of Steel Media’s operations by supporting the company’s central teams – Events Logistics, Events Content, Sales, Design, Marketing, Editorial – in the delivery of both our international Connects conference series (www.pgconnects.com) and our non-conference events.
This is a multifaceted role that requires adaptability, resourcefulness, and an ability to multitask, often under considerable pressure – particularly as a conference looms closer – and will particularly suit a quick-learning, proactive character, able to smoothly integrate into a tightly structured, busy team, and looking to assist where needed. Several of the tasks involved may never be glamorous but they are essential in supporting the continued operation of the company’s events activity. You’ll take pride and reward from a job well done and seeing the result of your efforts in the smooth running of our events.
Reporting to the Events Director, your core areas of responsibility will include:
- Management & updating of the Connects website (speakers page [inc headshot and bio processing], schedule, fringe event listings, etc)
- Connects meeting system management (set up, attendee imports, meeting location management, support/troubleshoot, meeting system team liaising - training to be provided)
- Event attendance list management (blind list production for sales team, outreach lists for marketing team, etc)
- Attendee communications management (delegate information mailshots, fringe event sign up invitations, ‘thank you’ follow-ups, etc)
- Connects schedule production (print handout/poster briefing/production/subbing)
- Connects attendee conference badge management (production, processing, management, updating - for Design team to then print)
- Connects fringe event management (production, art briefing [eg logos], registration form set up [Google Form], implementation, documentation, respondent management, etc)
- General Connects-related production support (eg speaker PowerPoint slide production for panel session details)
- Connects post event management (survey production/management, website updating, etc)
- Eventbrite management (listings production & maintenance)
- Eventbrite code management (discount and access code processing as per teams’ requests)
- Promotional materials production (flyers/posters/digital - art briefing, proofing, etc)
- MailChimp list management (processing new list imports, maintenance, etc)
- Events listings on Steel Media’s biz sites (management, production, updating, etc)
- Non Connects site production (management, proofing, updating of our non-Connects event sites)
- Assisting the Events Logistics team with production-related tasks (proofing speaker/sponsor comms, submission forms, logistic plans, etc)
- And various production-related missions that turn up in the day-to-day of running an events business
- Highly self motivated, exceptionally proactive, able to work to own initiative, able to meet deadlines, and manage own time and workload
- Exceptionally organised, able to work methodically and follow processes religiously to complete tasks and update systems in a consistent and systematic manner
- Excellent communication ability, written and verbal
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent administration skills
- InDesign proficiency (from production/subbing perspective)
- Proficiency in using key office software, including Google Docs suite
- Knowledge of management platforms such as Trello, event systems like Eventbrite, and MailChimp or SurveyMonkey is beneficial
- CMS experience, particularly WordPress, preferred but not essential
- Quick learner and able to multitask (with a view to 'hitting the ground running')
DAY-TO-DAY / WORKING STYLE
- Steel Media is a fast-paced, small company where decisions are made quickly. You need to manage multiple communications channels daily, via email, Skype, and Google Docs and not be fazed by this. The role may involve international travel to the locations of the Connects conferences for on-site production support (eg conference meeting system).
- Due to working remotely (see requirements below), you will need to be comfortable being out of an office setting (it doesn't suit everyone) and be able to communicate and report in to your line-manager via Skype and online systems regularly.
- Please note this is a home-based position and access to a PC/Laptop and stable internet connection is essential to undertake this role. There will also be face-to-face meetings with the team in suitable locations within the UK.
- Negotiable, dependent on experience (assuming 5 days, c.40 hours, per week)
- The role is being offered on a full-time basis but a part-time role will be considered for the right applicant.
- The role is offered on a contract basis in the first instance, with an invoice at the end of each month. Our standard terms are 45 days, but we aim to pay within 30.