The world’s leading mobile games b2b website is looking for an eager new Staff Writer.
The purpose of this role is to write, edit and promote content for the leading mobile b2b editorial brand at Steel Media. Much of this will be written news for the site, but will also include contributing to brand extensions like the Top 50 list booklets, podcasts, the Mobile Games Awards ceremonies and events like Pocket Gamer Connects.
The website role
PocketGamer.biz reports directly to the industry on all things mobile gaming, delivering the biggest news, features and interviews to get the inside scoop on what makes this multi-billion business tick. It is the job of the editorial team to create news, features, interviews, event coverage and other items in this space, and provide utility to professionals who work in the sector.
This is a full-time contract/freelance role where you’ll work with the PocketGamer.biz editorial team to report on the news (and create other content as directed, including conduct interviews and features if necessary) as well as other day-to-day tasks, both editorial, events-based and administrative as needed by the site. As well as writing daily content for the site, as a member of the editorial team, you will support the industry event activities run by the company and build editorial opportunities to engage the website audience in these events.
Please note this is a good starting role for a business writer. PocketGamer.biz does not review games or deliver tips and guides.
Tasks will naturally evolve with market trends and changing focus in the company, but the initial focus would aim to be:
- Write daily news related to the mobile games industry, which will include writing up press releases, finding original stories and information gathering from sources. The volume of work will be directed by the editor but maybe in the region of 4-8 pieces of copy per day depending on length and research.
- You will use Steel Media’s channels (including social media networks) to promote content that appears on the site.
- Write features and conduct interviews covering the mobile games space from a B2B perspective, in cooperation with the site’s editor and features editor, as needed. These may include items of sponsored content.
- Assist the editor and senior staff to ensure all sections and regulars on the website are kept up to date.
- Assist the editor and senior staff in the implementation of new initiatives at the company and on our sites.
- You will contribute to PocketGamer.biz Top 50 list and Mobile Games Awards judging panels as requested, and other related initiatives.
- Represent the PocketGamer.biz brand at national and international events and conferences, reporting from them and networking with the games community.
- Support Steel Media’s events, including Pocket Gamer Connects series and the Big Indie Pitch. This may include attending, helping source guests and content, greeting and hosting, moderating panels and sessions, or promoting (including the writing of marketing materials) as necessary.
- As required by senior staff and as directed by your editor, it may be expected to support our other sites from time to time.
- Steel Media is a fast-paced, small company where decisions are made quickly. You need to manage multiple communications channels daily, via email, Skype and Google Docs and not be fazed by this.
- This is a remote-working role. You will need to be comfortable being out of an office setting (it doesn't suit everyone) and be able to communicate and regularly report to your line manager via Skype and other online systems.
Your skills and experience
This is a good starting position for a talented, aspiring journalist. Think you can write clean news stories, handle big interviews with developers, and help maintain PocketGamer.biz’s position as the leading b2b website? Then this job could be just for you. What we require:
- Demonstrably strong writing skills - able to write accurate and clean copy to deadlines
- Newshound - willing to uncover the big stories of the day
- Confident to suggest and conduct interviews with industry professionals
- An interest in the data, facts and figures about how the industry works
- Able to work in a team and possess a positive mentality
- Valid passport, no special visa or travel restrictions
- Willingness to travel and represent the company at shows
- Very stable internet connection
- Able to work from home
- A readiness to talk to camera or be on podcasts or be part of live round-tables at conferences (no experience necessary and we can show you how it’s done)
- A passion for games, the industry and the people who work in it
- This is an entry-level job, and a great start in a career in games industry journalist.
- The role will mostly be performed remotely and therefore we will accept applications from anywhere, you do not have to be London- or Bath-based. Applications from anywhere are welcome, although the company management is UK-based and we expect calls to happen during UK office hours.
- The role is initially offered on a contract basis, with an invoice at the end of each month. Our standard terms are 45 days, but we aim to pay within 30. (The role could potentially transition to a PAYE on-staff position in future.)
- Assuming 5 days, c.40 hours per week.
- Our working hours are generally 9 pm to 6 pm (UK, with time for lunch), but we are open to flexible working hours, as long as activity levels are kept up.
- There'll be an initial three-month probationary period.
- Some travel may be involved and we will pay reasonable expenses (usually things like flights are booked centrally by us), and subsistence costs if there are occasions when you are required to travel for the company.
Steel Media Ltd is a consumer and b2b technology publisher and events company based in the UK. It publishes some of the world’s most influential mobile and handheld gaming websites, including PocketGamer.com, the longest-running and most respected games site dedicated to the mobile and handheld scene. It also publishes a range of b2b sites, including mobile-focussed PocketGamer.biz plus PCGamesInsider.biz and BlockchainGamer.biz. Steel Media Ltd also organises many international events, including the world-renowned Pocket Gamer Connects conference series and the Big Indie Pitch events in locations from the UK and the USA to Hong Kong and Helsinki, as well as completely digital events during the 2020 pandemic. Since October 2019, Steel Media Ltd has been part of the Enthusiast Gaming group.