The Asian app market has been experiencing explosive growth over the past couple of years, particularly with the rise of new and exciting messaging platforms.
As such, many developers have turned their eyes towards the East in the hopes of winning big. But each region has specific success factors and what works in one region may not work in another.
"In China, games across all genres, causal, midcore, hardcore, are reaching million dollar monthly gross," explains Lei Zhang, president and GM of Chukong USA (formerly CocoaChina).
"In some cases Android revenue is three to four times larger than iOS. But as big as the opportunity is, there are many challenges. There exists massive fragmentation with over 200 distribution channels and significant payment fraud at the IAP level.
"The only way devs can succeed in an Asian market like China is by teaming up with an experienced and trusted partner like Chukong."
Zhang will be joined by Kyu Lee, President of Gamevil USA, Jeff Lyndon, EVP & Co-founder of iDreamSky, Rick Liu, VP Asia Pacific & Latin America, NativeX on the "Spotlight: Asia" panel at the Pocket Gamer Global Game Stars Track @ GMIC on Tuesday, October 22 in San Francisco.
The panel will be taking a closer look at emerging opportunities across Japan, Korea and China and sharing insights about surefire ways to top the charts across the Pacific.
Bring your questions
GMIC's mega-conference will be gathering ten thousand mobile professionals from around the globe to share best practices, cultivate business development relationships, and identify solutions to some of the most pressing issues facing the industry.
To kick off the conference, Pocket Gamer's Chris James and Martine Paris are moderating a full day of visionary keynotes, thought-provoking panels, thrilling pitch sessions and a must-attend afterparty for the Pocket Gamer Global Game Stars Track @ GMIC.
The impressive roster of track speakers includes:
- Chris DeWolfe, CEO, SGN
- Chris Early, VP digital publishing, Ubisoft
- Chris James, MD, Steel Media
- Chris Carvalho, COO, Kabam
- Dave Roberts, CEO, PopCap
- David Helgason, CEO, Unity
- Dean Takahashi, lead writer, VentureBeat
- Ed Fries, co-creator, Xbox
- Fabien-Pierre Nicolas, GM Mobile, Perfect World
- Giordano Contestabile, VP product and revenue, Tilting Point
- Glenn Kiladis, VP & GM, Fiksu
- Jay Wright, VP product management, Qualcomm
- Jeff Lyndon, co-founder & EVP, iDreamSky
- Kristian Segerstrale, co-founder and partner, Initial Capital
- Kyu Lee, CEO, Gamevil
- Lei Zhang, general manager USA, CocoaChina
- Lori Kozlowski, editor, Forbes
- Martine Paris, US events editor, Pocket Gamer
- Mickey Maher, VP, Applifier
- Mike Cohen, VP GM, InMobi
- Mike Lu, VP product management, GREE
- Nabeel Hyatt, partner, Spark Capital
- Niccolo De Masi, CEO and president, Glu Mobile
- Nick Ning Yang, Chaie, China Young Angel Investor
- Patrick Mork, advisory board, Onavo & Pocket Gems
- Perry Tam, CEO, Storm8
- Remco van den elzen, CCO and co-founder, Distimo
- Rick Liu, VP Asia Pacific & Latin America, NativeX
- Becky Ann Hughes, VP product & marketing, PlayFirst
Then when the sun goes down, party like the future is here
with Pocket Gamer, Qualcomm & Everyplay. Delight in drinks, bites and beats by DJ R3Y in the swanky subterranean digs of Vessel nightclub. RSVP here for a free afterparty ticket.
This programming is made possible by the generous support of Pocket Gamer's Global Game Stars track sponsors UCWeb, Logitech, NativeX, SGN, Distimo, InMobi, Fiksu, HasOffers, and CocoaChina, and Pocket Gamer's afterparty sponsors, Qualcomm Vuforia and Everyplay.