News

Nintendo Switch Online companion app hits five million downloads

Nintendo Switch Online companion app hits five million downloads

Over five million players have downloaded the Nintendo Switch Online companion app.

According to Sensor Tower, the figure represents a quarter of the Switch’s global install base, which was reported to be of 20 million as of June 30th 2018.

Japan and the US make up the bulk of app downloads with 33 per cent and 30 per cent respectively.

60 per cent of total downloads came through Google Play, while the remaining 40 per cent came from the App Store.

Booted up

While Nintendo’s Online Service may have just launched September 17th, the companion app has been available since July of last year.

The launch of Nintendo’s online service led to 76 per cent growth in installs over the preceding week.

123,000 users downloaded the app for the first time last week, compared to about 70,000 the week before.

Keeping within the same vein, Japan and the US dominated download shares. The former saw a 77 per cent week-over-week uptick in downloads while the latter grew 89 per cent.

Despite the companion apps up-take in downloads, it was still regarded as one of the features we thought could be improved upon as Nintendo moulds its online service.


Staff Writer

Iain is a freelance writer based in Scotland with a penchant for indies and all things Nintendo. Alongside PocketGamer.Biz, he has also appeared in Kotaku, Rock Paper Shotgun, PCGamesN and VG24/7.

Comments

No comments
View options
  • Order by latest to oldest
  • Order by oldest to latest
  • Show all replies