The Big Indie Pitch is a regular event run by the makers of PocketGamer.biz. It sees indie developers engage in a speed-dating-styled pitching competition for fame and those sweet, sweet promotional packages.
The event gives indies four minutes to pitch their games to a panel of press, publishers and industry pundits. The judges then pick three winners and everybody gets valuable feedback.
The indie view
The Big Indie Pitch is getting bigger and bigger as we bring it to events all across the world. To give you an idea of what the event is like, who attends the events and the games on show, we've sat down with a number of past BIP contestants to offer their views.
Today, we're speaking to Carlos Garcia from Evil Zeppelin, who submited Quest 4 Fuel to The Very Big Indie Pitch at Pocket Gamer Connects Helsinki 18 and walked away with the prize for third place.
PocketGamer.biz: Tell us a little about yourself and your indie studio. Who is in the team and what are their inspirations?
Carlos Garcia: We are very passionate people about mobile video games. The founders have been working on it for four years in different projects and we made a lot of small games for web, iOS, Android and Oculus. One year ago, we decided to create our own video game studio, Evil Zeppelin, with the mission of building the future of RPG games for mobile devices. Quest 4 Fuel our first big RPG project, the first of many.
Tell us about your latest project that you pitched at the competition.
For this project, we wanted to create the basis technology for a RPG game with a unique art style. Quest 4 Fuel is a dystopian post-apocalyptic dieselpunk RPG game. The player must lead a band of pilots in a fierce fight for infinite gasoline, facing their convoy in exciting 4v4 turn based battles against the most dangerous lunatics of the desolate battlefield that is now the world. If you have an android device, you can play Quest 4 Fuel right now!
How hard is it to survive as an indie developer?
Making video games is hard, creating a profitable business is even more. We have bet our savings and we have several investors who support and believe in us, and that makes the process a little bit easier, but the process of creating video games is always complicated.
How was your experience pitching as a part of the Big Indie Pitch?
It was extremely fun and interesting. The pitching experience was very useful and we made a lot of contacts during the event. Right now we are talking with a publisher we know through a jury member of BIP. It was definitely a highly recommended experience!
What do you feel you have gained from these experiences and what do you still hope to gain?
All the people we met at PGC (developers, industry veterans, publishers). The networking is very important in this industry. Can’t wait for London later in the month.
What are your hopes for this game in the future and do you have any plans for any future projects?
The game is available in google play open beta. We are gathering metrics and feedback of the players and we expected to go live very soon. Our main focus for 2019 is keep working in Quest 4 Fuel updates and live operations. Also, expand the team and start new projects. One of them with people we know at PGC Helsinki with which we really want to work together!
Want to show off your exciting new game? We host Big Indie Pitch events throughout the year, so be sure to keep an eye out on our events page for an event near you.
Upcoming BIPs include:
- January 21st - 22nd 2019 - The Very Big Indie Pitch at Pocket Gamer Connects London 2019
- January 21st - 22nd 2019 - The PC Indie Pitch at PC Connects London 2019
- February 1st 2019 - The Big Indie Pitch at Interactive Futures in Leamington Spa 2019
- February 13th 2019 - The Big Indie Pitch at White Nights Berlin 2019
- March 16th 2019 -The Big Indie Pitch at SXSW 2019
- March 20th 2019 - The Big Indie Pitch at GDC 2019
- March 20th 2019 - The PC Indie Pitch at GDC 2019
- April 11th 2019 - The Big Indie Pitch at GameDevDays in Tallinn 2019
- May 13th - 14th 2019 - The Very Big Indie Pitch at Pocket Gamer Connects Seattle 2019
- May 13th - 14th 2019 - The PC Indie Pitch at PC Connects Seattle 2019
- May 29th 2019 - The Big Indie Pitch at Arctic Games Week 2019
- May 29th 2019 - The PC Indie Pitch at Arctic Games Week 2019
- June 11th - 13th (TBC) - The Big Indie Pitch in LA 2019