As our conference content producer, you’ll be responsible for the research, planning, administration, and execution of the scheduled content of our Pocket Gamer Connects series of international mobile games conferences (www.pgconnects.com), enabling the successful delivery of these industry-leading events (currently 4-5 per year). We may also need help sourcing speakers and panellists for other activities too.
Steel Media hosts regular b2b conferences that support, educate and connect the global games industry. They bring the games industry together in important cultural centres – from London to Seattle, Helsinki, Hong Kong and beyond – to do business and share knowledge. We also run occasional summits and one-off knowledge-sharing events, as well as video sessions during the pandemic.
As Event Content Producer, you will be the go-to person to prepare and plan this series of b2b conferences for the games industry. This is a full-time, work-from-anywhere role, supporting the Steel Media team in creating the professional conferences which we’re well known for. It’s a chance to lead a series of b2b games industry conferences, with support from consultants, senior staff and internal managers. The successful candidate will be ultimately responsible for a central component in the success of our conference series, which we’ve been running to international acclaim since 2014.
The core aspect will be delivering the conference content/schedule, including ownership of the speaker outreach, engaging with the conference advisory board, structuring and developing the content agenda, and generally leading and executing the process from concept to delivery.
The role includes a high level of administration and management – across multiple events at times – and the ability to engage with multiple potential speakers while maintaining a proactive approach to finalising the conference content is key.
This is an exciting role that enables the right candidate to experience content creation for a market-leading international conference and its supporting partner website, and to meet the top people in the games world.
You will immerse yourself in the mobile gaming business, attending events and talking to industry insiders as well as the internal experts at Steel Media in order to define and produce the best content tracks for the Pocket Gamer Connects series of international mobile games conferences in Europe, the US and Asia. You’ll be responsible for the research, planning, administration, and execution of the scheduled lectures and panels. You will probably need to get involved in the marketing and logistics conversations around the events too from time to time, to ensure the smooth communication of our plans and processes.
The role will naturally evolve with market trends and the changing focus in the company, but your initial responsibilities and role can be broken down as:
- Ultimate responsibility for management of the conference schedule content process from planning to delivery, setting the conferences’ content goals in conjunction with SM’s content contributors, and then producing the conference agenda in accordance with them
- Find and schedule speakers – you will research and understand games industry topics so you can lead the content outreach and find speakers working in key areas, and devise panels and talk titles with them in mind.
- Build relationships with industry experts and figureheads to help with the planning for subsequent events (both as potential speakers and content-inclusion feedback), including engagement with the conference advisory board to help determine content programmes.
- You will be part of the conversation about which tracks will take place at an event, and consider which talks and speakers will work well in those. You can lean on our consultants, internal managers and experienced editorial staff to help with contacts and panel ideas.
- Where necessary, participate in content suggestion/submissions from speakers with a view to steering that content in a way that it fits within our programme
- You'll work with the senior managers and representatives of other departments to ensure external speakers and sponsors – and internal departments – have all the information to run the event.
- Liaise with Steel Media’s Sales team regarding content-related sponsor requirements, and subsequently engage with and manage relevant sponsors with a view to integrate them within the conference agenda
- Find/assign panel moderators and manage the handover (connecting panellists to moderator) + find/assign relevant compères for the conference tracks, with help from the managers and consultants
- Answer the flow of event emails – respond to standard requests from speakers and manage incoming queries based on the management requests.
- Liaise with other departments, particularly Marketing – be fully aware of everything that’s happening with speakers at the conference and be able to provide other teams at the company, especially Marketing, with information when they request it
- Stay on top of the documents and notes – you will make sure that our planning sheets and docs are up to date, accurate and labelled according to our internal style. You will monitor and maintain our internal docs and processes.
- You will work with the logistics team to make sure the speaker invitation process takes place. You will lead the speaker outreach process and make sure that our teams are in the loop and are effectively sharing information.
- Proactively engage with areas requiring attention with a view to solving potential content- or speaker-related issues.
- Regularly assess the conference schedule structure according to overall direction/theme for the event/series.
- Work with the SM team to evolve the planning, strategy, and vision/direction of the PG Connects conference series (and related events).
- Occasionally oversee the content of our other conference series (non-PG Connects) and liaise with the relevant content leaders to ensure the content is on spec and on schedule, for instance, where we need help planning a RoundTable, Mixer or other activity.
- Monitor industry websites and other conferences for trends, announcements, content themes and potential speakers. Where the senior managers agree, you may wish to attend events too, to research people and ideas.
- Continually review planning/production progress to improve and refine processes.
- To promote and represent our conferences and the company to a high professional standard in all communications.
This role is suited to an organised, personable individual who loves networking and is excited by the challenge of finding and scheduling content for a live event. You'll be able to manage your own time and work on your own initiative while also being able to communicate with the wider company and keep other departments apprised of and motivated by your decisions. The aim is for this individual to work alongside other Steel Media teams to assist in the development of our websites and conferences with a view to positioning them as the leading mobile games event series on the planet, with world-class supporting editorial.
We are particularly keen to hear from people who've been previously responsible for delivering content for a website and/or planning speaker schedules for business conferences, especially in the games world – but this is not essential, if you possess the right mindset.
You will ideally display these skills:
- Highly self motivated and proactive, able to work to own initiative, able to meet deadlines, and manage own time and workload
- Exceptionally organised, able to work methodically and follow processes religiously to complete documents and update systems in a consistent and systematic manner
- Excellent communication ability, written and verbal. Fantastic use of English is handy
- Be able to maintain a diplomatic approach to trying to resolve difficulties and schedule clashes when required
- Experience using key office software, including Google Sheets. Knowledge of management platforms such as Trello, or event systems like Eventbrite, is beneficial but not essential
- Exceptional attention to detail and efficient administration skills
- Quick learner and able to multitask (with a view to 'hitting the ground running')
- A broad interest in games and technology (or the earnest desire to learn more)
- Able to work home-based (with a very stable internet connection). Due to working remotely you will need to be comfortable being out of an office setting (it doesn't suit everyone) and be able to communicate and report in to your line-manager via Skype and online systems regularly
- Valid passport, no special visa or travel restrictions
- Some previous experience in the (mobile) games industry would be useful. That said, the ability to learn, stay organised, and rapidly establish connections is key and we will consider candidates displaying those traits even if you’re new to the sector
- Previous conference content production/management is useful… but see above
- A can-do attitude when it comes to problem-solving
- You’ll need to manage multiple communications channels daily, via email, Skype, and Google Docs and not be fazed by this
Why work with us?
- Steel Media is a fast-paced, small company where decisions are made quickly. We are a small, growing company that’s recently become part of a much bigger international operation.
- This is a great chance to gain rapid experience in the games industry and communicate with some of the most important people in it.
- You’ll get a glimpse of the wider international games industry, possibly experience some travel, and certainly have your eyes opened to the possibilities of the industry. You’ll make friends from all around the world.
- The role typically involves some international travel to the locations of the PGC conferences (as well as new territories as the conference series expands) and other conferences as part of the speaker acquisition process.
- The job is flexible and for the most part you’ll be left unsupervised to set your own schedule at home. But you’ll also be part of a company who’ll work together online to support each other and get the job done!
- Steel Media is quick to respond to trends at the forefront of the industry. We were one of the first media companies to realise the potential of mobile, VR, blockchain, the metaverse… If you’re an early-adopter and naturally curious, you’ll break a lot of new ground with us.
- The people here have a huge amount of experience: some members of the team have been working in the games media for over 25 years, and you’ll receive a great deal of on-the-job insight and support from them.
- You’ll encounter people from all around the games industry from developers to investors. If you’re interested in a career in games, publishing or events, this is a place to build your network of contacts.
- It’s a fun, geeky environment full of like-minded people.
- Negotiable, dependent on experience, but in the region of £24k pa (assuming 5 days, c.40 hours, per week)
- The role is being offered on a full-time basis, but a part-time role might be considered for the right applicant.
- Our office hours are generally 9-6pm (with an hour for lunch), but we are open to flexible working hours, as long as activity levels are maintained.
- We will pay reasonable expenses for travel (usually booked centrally for flights, etc) and subsistence costs when travelling for the company.
Please apply via Indeed