News

NTT DoCoMo invests $22.5 million in mobile content move with Baidu

NTT DoCoMo invests $22.5 million in mobile content move with Baidu
Japan's leading mobile operator NTT DoCoMo has completed an investment of $22.5 million in mobile content platform Baidu Yi Xin Network Technology, a joint venture with Baidu.

DoCoMo's investment is equivalent to 20 percent ownership, leaving Baidu – China's leading internet search provider – with the remaining 80 percent.

Gaming DNA

Through this venture, the two companies will jointly provide value-added services and digital content to mobile phones in mainland China.

From August, that digital content will include a range of DeNA games, which the company's Chinese subsidiary will localise for the market.

This investment represents another example of NTT DoCoMo looking to expand its operations outside of Japan.

In May 2012, for instance, the telecommunications company tabled a $287 million offer for European mobile content provider Buongiorno, and in November 2011, DoCoMo and DeNA partnered to bring Mobage to Europe and Asia.

[source: NTT DoCoMo]
Staff Writer

PocketGamer.biz's news editor 2012-2013

Comments

No comments
View options
  • Order by latest to oldest
  • Order by oldest to latest
  • Show all replies