EA estimates total mobile games market is worth $3.4 billion, up to $4.5 billion in 2013
Europe and smartphones are fastest growing sectors
Following on from yesterday's heated debate about the size of mobile games market, EA has released some figures about how large it thinks the market is.
Part of a talk from CFO Eric Brown at the Credit Suisse annual technology conference, the company estimated the worldwide market in 2010 as being worth $3.4 billion, with Asia accounting for half of total revenue.
The other half is split between the Americans and Europe, with EA saying 41 percent of this is the shrinking feature phone Java and Brew market, while the remaining 59 percent is from smartphone sales.
This compares to Gartner's estimate of a total market value of $5.6 billion in 2010, and Juniper's prediction of $6 billion in 2009.
Into the crystal ball
In terms of future growth, EA expects the total mobile games market to be worth $4.5 billion in 2013, with Europe the fastest growing sector. Overall the Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of the market will be 10 percent.
Gartner reckoned the market would be worth $11.4 billion in 2012, while Juniper puts it at $11 billion by 2015.
Breaking out the performance of the western market, EA expects the smartphone sector to grow strongly at 22 percent CAGR, while feature phones will drop by 11 percent.
Here's my graph of what all these predictions look like.
Post a comment - Please log in to leave a comment
Chart of the Week: Kindle Fire is America's most popular Android gaming tabletLATEST FEATURES
Stateside: Violent change is coming. Only the innovative will surviveLATEST COMMENTS
Don't become an indie developer unless you can hack the life of a fat, Ukrainian prostitute 2