The four winners of the Game of the Year accolades at the India Game Developer Conference Awards 2018 have been revealed.
The ceremony, which took place during the India Game Developer Conference 2018, aims to shine a light on the top games coming out of India’s ever-growing dev scene.
Accolades up for grabs at this year’s show were: Studio Game of the Year, Indie Game of the Year, Student Game of the Year and Upcoming Game of the Year.
A fifth accolade was also given for the BYOG (Build Your Own Game) game jam, which took place from November 16th to November 19th.
And the winners are…
Taking Studio Game of the Year was developer YesGnome for its title Star Trek: Trexels II. The runner-up meanwhile was WWE Mayhem by Reliance Games.
Upcoming Game of the Year, for which PocketGamer.biz was on the judging panel, was won by PlayBae’s clever puzzler In the Shadows. The runner-up was SidKing’s .Connect, while YesGnome and Lifelike Studios received honourable mentions for their games Kingsman - The Secret Service and Rogue Heist respectively.
Indie Game of the Year meanwhile went to Xigma Games for The Bonfire: Forsaken Lands. Streep Lamp Games’ Bombarika was voted as the runner-up.
You can see the full list of awards, winners and finalists below.
Studio Game of the Year
- Winner: Star Trek: Trexels II - YesGnome
- Runner-up: WWE Mayhem – Reliance Games
- Finalists: Little Singham (Zapak Mobile Games Pvt Ltd), Puzzles and Toons (June Gaming Pvt Ltd), Real Cricket 18 (Nautilus Mobile Pvt Ltd)
Indie Game of the Year
- Winner: The Bonfire: Forsaken Lands – Xigma Games
- Runner-up: Bombarika – Street Lamp Games
- Finalists: Bombarika (Street Lamp Games), Legend of Maratha Warriors (Yogesh Pugaonkar), The Bonfire – Forsaken Lands (Xigma Games) and The Last Train (Smash Game Studios)
Student Game of the Year
- Winner: Roboland - Priyank
- Runner-up: Moirae – DDKMP Studio
- Finalists: Ball of Death (Bharati Vidyapeeth – Amplify DITM), Beam Stream (Monkeys in Disguise), Cyber Terra (CMR University), Moirae (DDKMP Studio) and Roboland (Priyank)
Upcoming Game of the Year
- Winner: In the Shadows (PlayBae)
- Runner-up: .Connect. (SidKing)
- Finalists: Kingsman – The Secret Service (YesGnome) and Rogue Heist (Lifelike Studios)
BYOG Game of the Year
- Winner: Truce Almighty – Amit Rane
- Runners-up: Acche Din – Mihir Solanki and Truce Almighty – Amit Rane
- Finalists: DunkerFIGHTS (Kishor Berde), The Little Teenager (D Soul) and What a War Needs (Psypher Games)
“The titles that scooped this year's awards are all shining examples of the great work emanating from India at this moment in time,” said IGDC convenor Rajesh Rao.
“We’re seeing growing ambition, growing confidence and, most importantly, highly polished, video games. This year’s winners, In the Shadows, The Bonfire: Forsaken Lands, Bombarika and Star Trek: Trexels II, signal a bright future for Indian game development.”
Full disclosure: IGDC organisers paid for our travel and accommodation for the event. Our coverage remains neutral.