News

Bandai Namco and Drecom invest $2.1 million in new HTML5 mobile game studio BXD

Date Type Companies involved Size
May 26th, 2017 partnership Bandai Namco
Drecom
$2.1m
Bandai Namco and Drecom invest $2.1 million in new HTML5 mobile game studio BXD

Bandai Namco has partnered with Japan-based internet marketing and games developer Drecom to launch a new studio focused on developing HTML5 browser games for mobile.

As reported by Crunchyroll, the new company, called BXD, will use Drecom's mobile expertise in conjunction with Bandai Namco's IPs. It has been granted $2.1 million to get started on development.

Bandai Namco holds a controlling interest of 51% in the company while Drecom holds the remaining 49% of shares.

Bandai Namco General Manager of app development, Kouji Tezuka, will act as president for the new studio.

Best of both worlds

BXD will be developing free-to-play mobile browser games, as well as publishing third-party titles. Games based on Dragon Ball Z, R.B.I. Baseball and The Idolmaster are currently in development with a planned spring 2018 release.

The Dragon Ball Z brand has already found success on mobile through Dragon Ball Z Dokkan Battle. The game has surpassed 150 million downloads in two years and stormed to the top of the US grossing charts in April 2017 thanks to an in-game event.


Deputy Editor

Ric has written for PocketGamer.biz for as long as he can remember, and is now Deputy Editor. He likes trains.

Comments

No comments
View options
  • Order by latest to oldest
  • Order by oldest to latest
  • Show all replies
Important information

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. By continuing to use our site, you consent to Steel Media's privacy policy.

Steel Media websites use two types of cookie: (1) those that enable the site to function and perform as required; and (2) analytical cookies which anonymously track visitors only while using the site. If you are not happy with this use of these cookies please review our Privacy Policy to learn how they can be disabled. By disabling cookies some features of the site will not work.