This is a role that will primarily involve creating mobile video game content for the PocketGamer.com channel on YouTube.
You will begin by assisting our experienced video editor in the creation of “let’s play” and walkthrough videos and reviews for our consumer channel. In time you will work autonomously in this role to keep our video output fresh and busy! It will require somebody who is prepared to take content all the way through from concept to publishing, recording gameplay footage, narrating over it, editing it, publishing it, and publicising it to the community. You will need to grow familiar with work both behind and in front of the camera, and the basics of editing and great sound quality.
Some other video work may be required, for instance taking part in occasional live Twitch streams, or cutting trailers together from supplied footage. It is a varied and interesting role that suits somebody looking to get into video work in the games industry.
This is a role where you’ll work with the editors of PocketGamer.com as well as our experienced video editor, and occasionally our marketing team, to create video content for a range of purposes. Primarily this will be reviews, let’s-plays, tips, lists features and more aimed at gamers. Our sites report directly to gamers on all things mobile gaming, delivering the biggest news, features and tips to help people get more from their games. The primary audience is people who play mobile games who are looking for new games to play, and ways to get more out of games they already love. We have a YouTube channel with potential to grow.
Your key priorities will be: recording, narrating, editing and publishing short mobile
games videos for our YT channel
- The role may naturally evolve over the year with market trends and changing focus in the company, but the initial focus would aim to be:
- Record gameplay footage for YouTube from mobile and handheld devices
- Present and narrate videos, recording yourself playing and explaining the games. You will likely have to write the script for these yourself, or sometimes adapt content written by other writers
- Edit videos to a high standard under the supervision of the video editor, using industry-standard tools such as Adobe suite
- Publish videos with good descriptions, meta information and SEO content
- Promote the YouTube channel on our websites, social media channels etc. You will use Steel Media’s channels (social media networks for instance) to promote content that appears on the site, and to interact with the community.
- Be prepared to stream live (eg for our Awards event)
- Assist the editor and senior staff to ensure all sections and regulars on the core channels and websites are kept up to date.
- Assist the editor and senior staff in the implementation of new initiatives at the company and on our sites.
- Potentially there may be future opportunities to represent the PocketGamer.com brand at online, national and international events and conferences, reporting from them and networking with the games community, being part of our video team, conducting interviews and the like.
This role is suited to an organized, personable individual who loves being creative, recording game footage and editing professional yet fun videos. Have a look at
Could you do more of this? And do you have ideas for taking it further?
You will ideally display these qualities:
- Highly self-motivated and proactive, with a can-do attitude, able to work on your own initiative, able to meet deadlines, and manage your own time and workload
- A knowledge of the gaming sector, specifically mobile games
- The ability to play mobile games while simultaneously narrating your experience with the game / critique / be entertaining
- Experience with the Adobe editing suite, specifically Premiere Pro
- Some previous experience in the (mobile) games industry would be useful. That said, the ability to learn, stay organized, and rapidly establish connections is key, and we will consider candidates displaying those traits even if you’re new to the sector
- You’ll need to manage multiple communications channels daily, via email, Skype, and Google Docs and not be fazed by this
We will want to see previous examples of your video work so please have links and/or a showreel ready.
You may be asked to create a very short video as part of the interview process - not for publication, but so we can see how you adapt to our needs (you will receive feedback on this).
Why work with us?
- The job is flexible, and for the most part, you’ll be left unsupervised to set your own schedule at home. But you’ll also be part of a company that’ll work together online to support each other and get the job done! Best of both worlds.
- Steel Media is quick to respond to trends at the forefront of the industry. We were one of the first media companies to realize the potential of mobile games, VR, the metaverse… If you’re an early adopter and naturally curious, you could break some new ground with us.
- You’ll encounter people from all around the games industry. If you’re interested in a career in games, this is a place to try an absolute ton of ‘em, and build your network of contacts at the same time. It is a chance to gain rapid experience in the video editing trade, and the games industry.
- The people here have a huge amount of experience: some members of the team have been working in the games media for over 25 years, and you’ll receive a lot of on-the-job insight and support from them.
- Steel Media is a fast-paced, small company where decisions are made quickly. We are a small, growing company that’s recently become part of a much bigger international operation. It’s a place where individuals can make a difference.
- Rate is negotiable, dependent on experience, but in the region of £24K pa (assuming 5 days, c.40 hours, per week), (plus option for bonus tied to channel growth)
- Our office hours are generally 9 am-6 pm (with an hour for lunch), but we are open to flexible working hours as long as activity levels are maintained.
- The role can be fulfilled as a salaried employee or as a freelance contractor - happy to discuss
- We will pay reasonable expenses for travel (usually booked centrally for flights, etc) and subsistence costs when travelling for the company.
Click to Apply