News

THQ Nordic acquires Goat Simulator dev Coffee Stain and Wreckfest maker Bugbear

Date Type Companies involved Size
November 14th, 2018 acquisition Bugbear Entertainment
Coffee Stain Studios
THQ Nordic
Not disclosed
THQ Nordic acquires Goat Simulator dev Coffee Stain and Wreckfest maker Bugbear

THQ Nordic has expanded its developer family with the acquisitions of Bugbear Entertainment and Coffee Stain.

The Swedish publisher revealed the acquisitions alongside the release of its Q3 earnings report. Both are a part of the company’s wider strategy of growth through acquiring studios and franchises.

Real deal

The company has purchased 100 per cent ownership of Coffee Stain for, which has the publishing rights for Deep Rock Galactic alongside IP ownership of Goat Simulator and Sanctum. THQ Nordic's buyout is worth $34.77 million (SEK 317m), with more on the table should Coffee Stain meet agreed upon milestones.

$44.4m (SEK 405m) is on the cards should Coffee Stain upon completion of "certain projects" within the next 36 months. An additional $14.26m (SEK 130m) is on offer should the studio reach EBT over $57.1m (SEK 520m) by December 31st 2023.

The studio has hit net sales of more than $54.8m (SEK 500m) and sold more than 16 million game units since opening in 2010.

THQ Nordic meanwhile acquired a 90 per cent stake in Wreckfest developer Bugbear Entertainment, with the option of purchasing the remaining 10 per cent later down the line.

These acquisitions follow THQ Nordic’s spree of recent purchases, including franchises like Alone in the Dark and Kingdoms of Amalur.

Our sister-site PCGamesInsider.biz has the full story.


Staff Writer

Natalie Clayton is an Edinburgh-based freelance writer and game developer. Besides PCGamesInsider and Pocketgamer.biz, she's written across the games media landscape and was named in the 2018 GamesIndustry.biz 100 Rising Star list.

Comments

No comments
View options
  • Order by latest to oldest
  • Order by oldest to latest
  • Show all replies
Important information

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. By continuing to use our site, you consent to Steel Media's privacy policy.

Steel Media websites use two types of cookie: (1) those that enable the site to function and perform as required; and (2) analytical cookies which anonymously track visitors only while using the site. If you are not happy with this use of these cookies please review our Privacy Policy to learn how they can be disabled. By disabling cookies some features of the site will not work.