PG.biz MasterClass: Understanding Design – Getting The Most From Your Design(ers) (Online)
|Date & Times:||
Monday, August 17th 2020
10am to 1pm
|Expected Size:||100 – 250|
|Ticket Cost:||200 GBP|
|Target Audience:||C-Level, Creatives, Developers, Indie Developers, Marketing, Publishers, Students, Technical teams|
|Event Type:||Online Event|
|Featured Platforms:||Android, Augmented Reality, Console, Handheld Console, iOS, PC, Steam, Virtual Reality, Wearables|
The PocketGamer.biz MasterClasses are a new series of deep-dive workshop sessions, covering practical game design topics. They include online webinar lessons and workshop sessions conducted by video.
PocketGamer.biz is well known for its conferences and round-tables, but the short nature of these sessions means they only scratch the surface of important subjects. For real in-depth learning, we have worked with industry experts to create the MasterClasses. They are professional half-day activities featuring tutorials and breakout groups, all accessed from your home office.
There are four sessions running in August 2020 (see below), and this session is: Understanding Design – Getting The Most Out Of Your Design(Ers) with Tara Mustapha
Whether you are an indie start-up or a AAA console studio, everything requires design. In creating resonating experiences for players, communication and empathy are key - and it is also key for creating workflows to get the most out of your design.
In this three-hour online MasterClass, we will be tackling the fundamental understanding of game design, strategies for enabling a team that is in FLOW in order to maximize the output of your team and enabling designers to create their best work.
For designers, this session will give you the tools to steer the ship from a solid foundation, for everyone else, this masterclass will give you the tools to make the ship as streamlined, solid and stylish as possible.
About the host
The three-hour session is led by Tara Mustapha, a seasoned producer and game designer who has shipped over 10 titles in 15 years. She has worked with Backbone Entertainment, Microsoft and EA on titles like the Skate series and Monster Lab. She is currently the Chief Design Officer and co-founder of Glow Up Games.
We will focus on three core areas of design:
• Design fundamentals: the foundation of any game development – We’ll drill down on what the fundamentals are that will help keep the design on track and the team clear on their goals.
• Designing design – We’ll talk about the different frameworks that are needed to support excellent design with the studio’s goals in mind as these can change from designing mobile f2p games to premium experiences.
• Effective communication – Understanding the needs of designers, and all the roles on a team, will facilitate a streamlined game development process. We’ll drill down on how to identify and implement these processes for teams of different sizes.
In this class attendees will be able to learn:
• Core design fundamentals – establishing a baseline language for the team to understand and move towards.
• The frameworks to get your designs from 0-1, and then scale effectively
• Processes that will set your game development process for success
• Roles within a team, and how to create effective communication loops to minimize friction within a team.
• How to gel your operational goals with your game design principles – which differ depending on the type of product you’re launching.
• Identifying design KPIs and metrics to measure the success of your team, and your game.
Format of teaching
This will be a highly interactive session using Zoom and Miro as tools to support the participants working together to see how the theory can be applied.
For each subtopic we will have the following format:
20 mins lecture
20 mins group activity
20 mins Feedback/Review
60 mins x 3 = three hours total
There will be audience participation encouraged throughout the MasterClass.
Game designers and everyone who has to work with them.
Other sessions & attendee offers
There are three other sessions available in August 2020. Each MasterClass requires a separate ticket, although multiple bookings are encouraged and come with a discount:
Monday, August 17 (2pm-5pm)
Game Economy Design And Optimization
with Nick Murray
Tuesday, August 18 (10am-1pm)
Product Management – Bringing Value To Your Players
with Karla Reyes
Tuesday, August 18 (2pm-5pm)
Bringing Your Game To Live
with Oscar Clark
Individual multi-buy discount: book for three & get fourth free (so, book for all four MasterClasses and get one of them free).
Corporate discount: a group of six or more from one company can get 30% off if booked together.
To take advantage of multi-buy or group discounts, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your bespoke package.
Book your ticket today!
Select your ticket above and follow the simple online booking system. Payment is required at the time of booking, so please have your credit or debit card ready.
Group bookings from the same company: to arrange a discount on block bookings, please contact us if you wish to purchase more than 6 tickets, via email@example.com
Please note the final ticket price is in £UK, and conference tickets can be subject to UK VAT at a rate of 20%. You will be sent a VAT receipt by email along with confirmation of your booking.
For all other questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms and conditions apply.
Find out more information on PG.biz MasterClass: Understanding Design – Getting The Most From Your Design(ers) (Online)
See an event missing? Let us know