Calling all developers! Are you currently working on - or thinking of experimenting with - a hypercasual game?
We have expanded our Big Indie Pitch format with a new Big Hypercasual Pitch, which will take place this September and will invite teams to receive feedback on their hypercasual games and maybe win prizes.
As part of a collaboration with sponsor Sunday, the event will offer hypercasual developers the opportunity to pitch their projects to a panel of judges. This will be made up of journalists, publishers, investors and developers from the industry.
The format invites each applicant to show off their game for five minutes to a number of the experts before moving on to the next, similar to speed-dating. Feedback will be provided to all participants.
Get ready to shine... wherever you are in the world
The Big Hypercasual Pitch will take place digitally during Pocket Gamer Connects Digital #8 on September 29th from 15:00 to 18:00 UK time. Applications are open and remember this is your big chance to show your hypercasual project to an experienced, appreciative audience.
Did we mention there'll be prizes? The top three winners (alongside any honourable mentions) will receive the following:
- Be covered in our winners’ article on PocketGamer.Biz
- Be interviewed for PocketGamer.Biz
- Receive tickets to a future PGC of their choice
- Receive a certificate (digital) to commemorate the placement
The three winners, as chosen by the judges, will also receive:
- Exclusive mentoring and coaching from sponsors Sunday about making a profitable hit hypercasual game (with the end goal of signing a publishing agreement)!
Receive feedback on your hypercasual game and maybe win prizes, including expert mentoring from Sunday
On top of this, the winner will also receive:
- Booth space at a future physical Pocket Gamer Connects conference
- A slot within the online Pocket Gamer LaunchPad event as part of the indie roundup - yes, your game could be featured in front of millions on Twitch in a future stream hosted by the experts from our partner site PocketGamer.com!
Ready to make your submission to the competition? If you've got an idea for a hypercasual game, this is your chance - head over to the official site to fill in the form. The closing date for entries is September 17th, 2021.
Supported by hypercasual experts
The pitch is sponsored by Sunday. Sunday is conquering the world of hypercasual publishing along with its partner developers from all around the world. With its hands-on knowledge, data-driven processes, unbridled creativity, and transparent communication, it brings to the table all the benefits of an agile and dedicated team. The ad tech know-how and marketing capabilities of the AppLike Group are its rocket fuel, resulting in profitable hits for its developer partners.
Sunday’s company values are all about sustainable profits, fairness, and developer empowerment. The company is based out of Hamburg, Germany.
PocketGamer.biz, Sunday and our judges are seeking games that possess these basic criteria:
- Games must be level-based and presented in portrait mode
- Gameplay must be quick and rewarding with level durations being approximately 30 seconds
- Games must not include a metagame or deep complex systems
- Ideally, the game will have only one mechanic and can be played with one hand
- Games must be easy to pick up and play without a tutorial by those who regularly play games and those who don’t, alike
- You can pitch your game even if you’ve pitched it at a previous BIP
- We prefer to see unreleased games, though we’re happy to see games that are out too
- Developers must not currently have a publisher for the game they submit
Each applicant will pitch for five minutes to a group of experts before moving on to the next
Sound like something you're working on, or fancy trying? Get ready to pitch it to us!
A new addition to our pitching family
“We’ve been hosting the Big Indie Pitch since 2013," says Big Indie Pitch and LaunchPad manager Sophia Aubrey Drake. "I’m so proud of all the developers that we've been able to help over the years."
While previous Big Indie Pitches, whether about mobile, VR or PC games, have taken place in person, since April 2020 we moved them online.
"When times became troublesome across the world we’ve been able to help people digitally," continues Drake. "At the same time, we've expanded our reach, both in terms of people globally who can take part, and now with this hypercasual pitch, in terms of the format. Of course, like most of us, I cant wait to see people in person again! But until then I’m proud that we’re able to continue supporting indie developers around the world.”
Looking for inspiration? One of the winners of our previous Big Indie Pitch competition was Silver Lining Studio director Wilson Yen, who discussed the importance of storytelling with us.
We also spoke to Mad About Pandas creative directors Patrick Rau and Dan Mayer about the launch of Hitchhiker - A Mystery Game on mobile and Nintendo Switch as part of our Indie Spotlight series.
The first ever Big Hypercasual Pitch will take place during Pocket Gamer Connects Digital #8 on September 29th. Spaces are limited so please apply by Friday, September 17th.